How Should I Respond to an Electrical Fire

Many people are still living with an illusion that fire is some substance catching fire and water can be used turn off that fire. Fire in which first source of heat is electricity and that occurs due to surplus heat produced by and electrical domestic device. Electrical fire that starts with small spark can spread instantly. Haste of fire can travel even before you are alert of it.

What triggers for electrical fire:To be straight forward, there are three main causes for electrical fire:

Arc Flash:
An arc flash is a form of electrical blast that effects from a low impedance link to ground or any other voltage phase in an electrical system. The swiftly growing supercharged vapour formed by the arc can lead severe injuries, and the strong UV, visible, and IR light generated by the arc can temporarily and at times yet permanently blind or cause eye injury to people.

Poor Wiring:
Electrical distribution systems play a leading cause for firing. Due to expensive copper price, people have started investing on aluminium wiring. As aluminium is greatly receptive to temperature oscillations it is probe to become loose over a period of time and lead to a high resistance link which results in fire hazard. Grounding is a significant safety characteristic that saves you from shock or electrocution. If your home is not grounded, contact an electrician now to upgrade your electrical system.

External Heating:
This occurs quite rare compared to the other two mentioned above. It is caused due to overload.

How to Respond for Electrical Fire:
Precaution is Better Than Cure. Fire prevention is easy as long as you use your presence of mind, common sense and deal with it without panic. Maintain checklist that includes fire station and your regular electrician. Have it posted in kitchen, bathrooms and wherever possible as electrical appliances are used in every possible place at homes. Educate yourself on the following things to be performed when fire starts:

  • Immediately turn off power in the mains as this breaks power supply completely.
  • Keep circuit box in and accessible place without locking it.
  • Use baking soda to suppress fire.
  • Never use water, it is not an extinguisher it makes situation worse by electrocuting it.
  • Have your electrician inspect your wiring before you restart power.

A part from that never overload your circuits, keep your appliances and electronics in good shape. Have a consistent frequency for checking house wiring. Instantly replace ragged wiring to avoid fire. It is always safe to do it with a licensed electrician instead doing it yourself. Please note that you need to put off all heat producing electrical appliances whenever you are going out of the house. Heaters should be always placed approximately a meter away from clothes or curtains and furniture.

admin