What Are Pinworms
Pinworms are also known as threadworms. Its medical name is Enterobius vermicularis. Pinworms are mostly found in kids and very less in adults and youngsters. Pinworms live in intestines and can be easily treated. It is not a very severe problem. Pinworms disease is a contagious disease i.e. it spreads from one person to another. It can occur in all socioeconomic groups. It can spread among family members too. The most common symptom if pinworms are itchy rectal area and this itching gets worse at night as the female worms are more active at night. They come out and start crawling around the rectal area to deposit their eggs. It can be treated with right medication and consultation. Pinworms are very small in size and these can be present on bed, schools desks, kitchen counters etc. They cannot be seen with naked eyes. It makes kids to scratch that particular area and they get pinworms on their hands and then transmit them to the other things like toys, beds etc. If they are accidently swallowed by the person, then it would start creating problems to the person. It can also cause itchy vagina in females. Other symptoms can be:
- Loss of appetite
- Restlessness due to itching
- Upset stomach
If your kid has these problems, then you must see a doctor. This problem is not severe but it is very irritating and annoying. Pinworms can be diagnosed by taking pinworms samples. The samples can be taken from the person’s stool or from his hands. If pinworms are found, then the anal area is covered with the adhesive tape or pinworm paddle by your doctor. Pinworms are treated with the help of following tablets like mebendazole, albendazole, pyrantel pamoate. These tablets are very effective in treating pinworms. To avoid pinworm infection:
- You should be hygienic.
- Wash your hands before eating.
- You should cut short your kid’s nails.
- They should not be allowed to eat in their bedrooms.
- Change your underwear every morning.
- Towels and handkerchiefs should not be shared at any cost.
- Bed sheets and pillow covers should be changed time to time.
- Do not bite finger nails. It can transmit the worms on your hands inside your body and cause infection.
- Toothbrushes should be kept covered otherwise worms on them can get transmitted to your stomach and can cause pinworms infection.
- After changing diapers or nappies of your baby, you should wash your hands thoroughly.
Even after taking all the above precautions, it is very difficult to avoid the chances of getting infected. If once treated, this infection can return again. You just try to remain hygienic. It would reduce the chance of getting pinworms infection.