What is Internal Medicine
Internal Medicine is a field that covers a range of diseases affecting the internal organs of the human body. The organs can include lungs, liver, kidneys, tract infections, muscles, joint, brain etc. The common diseases affecting the internal organs are high blood pressure, diabetics, cancer and other chronic and severe diseases. A person known to be a specialist in the field of internal Medicine is called as an Internist. It is a duty of an internist to identify the cause and manage the range of diseases that cause any damage to the internal organs.
Internists are offered a special training and study to focus on preventing, diagnosing and treating some of the severe and adult diseases. A practicing specialist is usually appointed in the hospitals to take additional care of the patients suffering from acute illness. His role includes a close supervision of the out patients various clinics. There are many education departments in the universities and research institutes that appoint an internist as a professor to supervise the entire process of teaching students who want to learn and get training in the field of medicinal study.
Internal medicine is also a wider field that not only includes the internists who are not the practitioners or physician but are also called as surgeons, pediatrics and obstetrics caring and treating some of the most complex diseases. Internists can effectively treat some of the common problems associated with eyes, ears, nervous system, skin and reproductive organs. It is for this reason that internists are today the requirement of every office, clinic, hospital and intensive care unit.
Usually an entire unit of Internal Medicine consists of senior consultants who are well trained and have a good experience of having worked in some of the leading medical research and study Institutes. The department concentrates on a broad spectrum of dealing with diagnosis and effective treating multiple adult diseases like :
- A Critical care unit wherein a senior consultant manages a multi-system of chronic diseases and co-ordinates with other specialists to provide a holistic care and treatment to the patients.
- The MHC department that deals to prevent various diseases by conducting regular health checkups in weekdays as well as public holidays.
- The special department dealing with some of the most severe diseases likes Malaria, HIV, Tuberculosis and Dengue fever etc. The diseases are generally investigated by the specialist in-depth and then offered a right treatment.
- A Management department for managing and treating poisoning and drug overdoses.
- The Intensive care unit that consists of all the modern facilities besides offering a proper nursing care to the patients.
Internal medicine is considered a much wider field that includes not only the internists who are known as practitioners or physicians but are the also known as surgeons, pediatrics and obstetrics caring and treating some of the most complex diseases causing danger and harm to the internal human body organs.