What Is Leadership Theory
Leaders are those who lead a group of people into proficient units. They observe and appraise the activities of human work force of an organization. There are different types of leadership like Autocratic, Democratic, Laissez Faire and Paternalistic. Autocratic leader is one were the leader makes the decision. There is a high reliance of leader in this type of leadership. In democratic type a chance is given to others in decision making, leadership is both accessing and influential. In Laissez Faire the duties of the leader is shared by all in organization. The last type is one were the leader is considered a father in decision making.
After discussing the different kinds of leaders now it is apt for us to know the leadership theories which govern them. Let’s go a little detail into them:
- Traits Theory: this theory takes into account certain personalities to become a leader. Some of the traits like charm, self confidence, attainment, supremacy etc. This theory also helps in finding out if such traits are inborn, gender based, will such personalities breed good leaders and so on.
- Behavioral Theory: this tells us that leaders can be trained as per their behavior. This can be done either on structure based or relationship based. The former concentrates on the task the leaders have to perform. While the latter on the progress and procedure.
- Contingency Theory: this theory suggests in using a combination of theories for different environments. It makes us clear that a leader must be flexible for facing different situations.
These theories are not always fixed as the last one suggests. It may depend on various factors like mix of staff in the organization, nature of business the company has, organization culture that is being followed, relationship between the staff and management and organizational changes that need to be done to make leaders perform effectively and efficiently. A successful leadership theory should be designed in such way keeping in mind long term calculated needs, clearly laid down objectives and the past theory results.
What ever leadership theory is followed in an organization there is a broader way to see leadership which may take the following form:
- Leadership has to be seen as a process rather than a theoretical summary. It a practical classroom to put all that a person has learnt earlier.
- Leadership is a chain of association. Because without followers there can be no leaders.
- Leadership is learning, because with every situation a leader handles there is more for him or her to learn. Hence attitude towards learning is more important.
- Leadership is a voyage. It’s a drive towards achieving the goals and objectives of an organization were the leaders and his followers are a pert of it.