What is Menopause
Menopause is the stage when a menstruation cycle tends to stop completely due to the ovaries that stop producing the eggs. This is the stage where there is a substantial change in the hormones too. This is mainly due to the reason that ovaries stop producing hormones like estrogen and progesterone with the growing age. With the decrease in hormones, every human body starts reacting differently with variations in emotional and physical changes.
Normally menopause occurs between the ages of 45 to 55. In exceptional cases, menopause can also occur before the age of 40 years more specifically due to a surgery or ovarian failure. This early onset of menopause is called as premature menopause. Apart from a surgery an early menopause can occur before the age of 40 or 45 years depending upon various causes and reasons like:
- Excessive Consumption of Alcohol
- Chromosome defects
- Autoimmune disease
- Thyroid disease
- Chemotherapy or radiation surgery
- Endocrine disorders
- Ovarian failure
Different Types of Menopause :
- Natural Menopause: It is defined as a stage when ovaries naturally stop producing different hormones like progesterone, estrogen and testosterone. A menopause that occurs normally in between the age of 45 to 55 years is known to be a Natural Menopause.
- Induced Menopause: It is also known as an action that is deliberately taken to induce menopause especially when it does not occurs naturally within a specified age limit.
- Surgery Menopause: The vital organs like ovaries or uterus are removed through a surgery like hysterectomy. This surgery becomes necessary especially in case of severe failure or damage caused to the ovaries or uterus. This is thus, called as a surgical menopause wherein the eggs producing ovaries are removed to stop the process of menstruation and cause menopause.
- Chemotherapy: It is a treatment that is given to the cancer patients. The radiations tend to completely shut down the ovaries and thus cause temporary or permanent menopause.
Menopause Symptoms: One of the most common symptoms of menopause is the irregularity in the onset of periods in the mid to late 40’s. Another factor that influences menopause is genetic too. With a onset of menopause, every women might experience varied kinds of symptoms like:
- Mood swings
- Irregular periods
- Lack of proper sleep
- Rapid heart beats
- Loss of appetite
- Overweight or Weight loss
- Memory loss
- Vaginal dryness
- Loss in sexual desire
- Body pains
Menopause is considered to be a natural process. It is not termed as any disease, although its symptoms and effects may cause distress and unrest, which is of course treatable. The reports reveal women living a longer life than normal after the onset of menstruation.